Shopping for back-to-school supplies? Instead of throwing away last year’s backpack, why not give it a makeover? This DIY velvet fashion backpack idea gives you a beautiful, customized backpack with low cost and minimal effort.
- Lay the backpack flat, use vinyl tape to cover the bag’s front pocket area, trace over the area’s edges with a pencil and peel it off. Use this same method to cover any other areas you wish to attach the velvet fabric.
- Trim to tape along the pencil-drawn edges.
- Place the pieces of tape over the velvet fabric, use it as a guideline to cut the fabric.
- Light a candle, run the edges of each fabric piece along the fire to prevent fraying.
- Place double-sided tape over the surfaces you are attaching the velvet fabric, gently smooth out any wrinkles and run a hot glue gun around the edges of the fabric.
- Push down the fabric edges with a wooden stick to securely seal off the edges.
- Now it’s decorating time! You can attach a flower embroidery patch (or any patch of your choice) on your backpack using the hot glue gun. Fasten a tassel on the bag’s zipper for a finished look.
Now you have your own personalized back-to-school fashion backpack at a fraction of the cost of designer bags. Sport your work of art proudly around campus and get ready for receiving a load of compliments from your classmates.