Want to impress your crush or surprise a loved one? Here’s a tutorial that brings ordinary origami to the next level. With “money origami”, you can make statement gifts from dollar bills! Come on, nobody will reject a present made from money.
Origami Engagement Ring
1 Hundred Dollar Bill (or one dollar)
- Place the bill with the face side up.
- Fold the top margin down and the bottom margin up, this will hide the white edges and help make the ring slimmer.
- Fold in half lengthwise. Bring the top edge you created down to meet the bottom edge.
- Fold in half lengthwise again. Bring the crease you just created down to meet the bottom.
- Make sure the numerals on the bill is right side up and facing you.
- Fold the right third of the bill 90 degrees up. This determines the size of your ring, if you want a smaller-sized ring, fold the right half up.
- Wrap the tab sticking up down and behind the bill.
- Turn the bill over. Now that tab sticking down will be on the left side, facing up.
- Loop the long end around and let it pass under the tab that is sticking down.
- Reveal your “100” numeral gemstone by taking the part of the long end sticking out from behind the tab and folding it back across the tab. Tuck the end underneath for a perfect “100” gemstone.
- Finish the ring by folding the loose end that’s sticking down vertically and tuck it under the “100” gemstone.
Fluttering Butterfly Surprises
- Fold the 5 dollar bill in half widthwise, then unfold it.
- Fold the right side of the bill to meet the middle crease, then unfold. Repeat for the left side. Now you’ve divided the bill into quarters.
- Fold & unfold the sections to divide the bill into eighths.
- Fold along the crease back and forth accordion style until it forms a strip. Compress the strip and fold it in half widthwise.
- Fold a 20 dollar bill in half lengthwise, then unfold it.
- Fold each corner in to meet the center crease.
- Fold the bill in half lengthwise. Bring the top half down to meet the bottom.
- Fold the top flap up a third of the way, then fold it inside to meet the center crease. Repeat for the bottom flap. Now you have a strip.
- Fold the strip in half widthwise then unfold.
- Hold the middle of the strip, gently pull the middle crease on the right side up to stretch out the flaps of the bill, repeat for the left side.
- Place the two bills one above the other, then secure them together with a twist tie. Be sure to align the middle so the butterfly wings are symmetrical.
- Repeat steps 1-11 until you have 9 butterflies.
- Place 3 butterflies one on above the other. Cut off pieces of string to tie them together at its middle to create a group.
- Repeat step 13 until you have 3 groups of butterflies.
- Tape the top end of the 3 strings onto the lid of your gift box.
- Gift a friend and watch their face light up as the butterfly flutters out when they open the box.
Hide Your Cash In Plain Sight
- Measure and cut the toilet paper roll to fit the height of the jar.
- Fold your bills in half lengthwise.
- Stack them on top of each other and roll it up.
- Put your stack of money inside the toilet roll.
- Place the toilet roll of money in the center of the jar.
- Pour the rice around the roll to cover the jar.
- Seal the jar lid. There! Your cash is hidden away safely.