After you’ve spent a fabulous summer vacation with your family, it’s time to face reality and get ready for that back-to-school season. If you are dreading the idea of returning to school, this fun DIY sneaker makeover project will sure uplift your mood and change your mindset. After you transform those bland sneakers into amazing works of art, you will look forward to sporting these cool shoe designs to school and have your classmates stare at them in awe.
A Pair of Plain Sneakers (White or Black)
Extra-Fine Glitter (Blue, Silver, Turquoise)
- Remove your shoelaces from your sneakers.
- Apply masking tape over the soles.
- Mix 3 tbsp of mod-podge with 2 tbsp of blue glitter in a clean glass bowl.
- Use a brush to paint the glitter mixture evenly onto the sneakers.
- When you feel like you have enough glitter, use a clean brush to apply a layer of plain mod-podge over the shoes to seal the glitter.
- Allow the shoes to dry for 6-8 hours. Remove the tape from the soles and put the shoelaces back.
- Now it’s done, get ready to sport your cool, glittery shoes at school and be the center of attention during gym class.
Into the Galaxy
A Pair of White Canvas Shoes
Sharpies (black, purple, blue, dark blue, pink)
- Remove the shoelaces from your shoes.
- Use different colors of sharpies to color in small patches on the shoes.
- Pour 1/2 cup of rubbing alcohol into a bowl, use a spoon to drizzle the rubbing alcohol all over the shoes. You will see the colors start to spread out and blend together.
- Allow the shoes to dry for 24 hours.
- Now it’s time to give some stars to your galaxy! Finish off with a coat of glitter spray. Wait for 30 minutes for it to dry.
- Put on the shoelaces and your stunning, colorful, out-of-this-UNIVERSE sneakers are done!
A Pair of Light Pink Slip-On Shoes
White Acrylic Paint
Color-Changing Pigment (color of your choice)
Satin Acrylic Finisher
Small Paint Brush
- Mix 1 tbsp of color-changing pigment with 1/4 cup of satin acrylic finisher in a bowl.
- Use a clean brush to apply the paint mixture onto the shoes.
- Repeat step 1-2 for however many colors you want to use. You can even sketch out your desired images on both shoes with a sharpie for decoration.
- Let the shoes dry for 2-3 hours, and it’s ready to wear!
- Watch the shoes change color when you take it out to the sun!
All it takes are just some plain old shoes, simple materials, and a creative mindset to upgrade your sneakers without costing a chunk of your savings.
Follow our video tutorial above and check out our end results!
Tried making it at home? Share your results with us on Facebook, or Instagram.