Everyone’s using coconut oil, from skincare to hair products, it’s everywhere! Did you know that you can actually make your own at home? We have a step-by-step guide on how to make coconut oil and 5 life hacks to using coconut oil in your beauty routine.
How to Make Coconut Oil
- Use the electric drill and drill a hole on the coconut and drain the coconut water into a bowl. Save the coconut water for later use.
- Hold the coconut in one hand, take the hammer and hit the middle of the coconut until it cracks open.
- Use a knife to scrape out the coconut flesh, if some pieces contain shells, peel it off with the peeler.
- Blend the coconut flesh with ½ cup of coconut water and 1 cup of hot water in the blender.
- Lay a cheese cloth over a large bowl, pour the blended mixture onto it. Twist the cloth around the mixture and squeeze it to drain out all the liquid.
- Place the strained coconut milk into the fridge for 2 hours to chill.
- After 2 hours, remove the coconut milk from the fridge, you will notice a layer of coconut oil has solidified on top.
- Use a spoon to scoop the hardened coconut oil into a pan, cook over medium heat and stir as the oil bubbles to prevent burning. When it has melted, remove the pan from heat to cool.
- Place a fine mesh strainer over a clean container and pour the coconut oil into the container, discard any strained bits and refrigerate the coconut oil.
5 Coconut Oil Beauty Hacks
Coconut Oil Makeup Remover
- Take 1 tbsp of coconut oil and rub it over your face, massage for up to 30 seconds to 1 minute until the makeup has dissolved, keep your eyes closed during the process to prevent the makeup from getting into your eyes.
- Wipe off the makeup with a cotton pad.
Coconut Oil Lip Balm
- Apply the coconut oil onto dry or chapped lips for moisturization.
Coconut Oil Makeup Brush Cleaner
- Place 1 tbsp of coconut oil and 1 tbsp of hand soap in a bowl.
- Take a dirty makeup brush and keep scrubbing it in the mixture.
- Rinse the brush clean in water and hang it to dry. Washing the brushes with coconut oil will help to keep the brushes soft and prevent it from drying out.
Coconut Oil Hair Mask
- Pour hot water into a large bowl, place a small bowl inside to create a double boiler.
Add in 3 tbsp of coconut oil. Stir until it melts down completely.
- Use your hands to apply the coconut oil on the dry and split ends of your hair.
- Brush through it to evenly distribute the oil.
Coconut Oil Shaving Cream
- Take 1 tbsp of coconut oil and apply it over the body areas which you want to shave.
- Run the shaving razor over your skin, it’ll be much more smooth and easy to shave through now and you’ll love how soft it leaves your skin.